This is my tumblr. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
(Just a heads up for anyone who I follow: I have a habit of going through every page of someone's tumblr if I start following them, looking for things that amuse/interest me. I'm starting to realize that this might seem a bit creepy, so I apologize in advance.)
I seriously have to give a ridiculous amount of credit to the Sandy Hook parents for coping with such tremendous tragedy and still managing to find the strength to be such fighters.
I also hate the idea of them being called political pawns. The language takes away their agency and just frames them as pieces being totally controlled by someone else. You can tell they genuinely care and want some sort of change, even if it wouldn’t directly have prevented the murder of their kids. Children for years to come could be saved by it, though.(via fuckyeahfeminists)
i hate unpaid internships so fucking much
- unpaid internships exploit college graduates, most of whom have exorbitant student loans, into working 30-40 hours weeks for no pay
- at which time they start owing massive amounts of interest on their student loans
- they often don’t have time to search for other jobs
- it’s really only practical for wealthy people whocan afford to work without pay to make their resumes look prettier and network (again without pay) to get a job
- under the vain hopes that they’ll get hired at that company after their internship is up
- which frequently does not happen
- or to bolster their resume so some other company will hire them
- and if they do get a job at that company the company now doesn’t have to pay for their job training, which they’re legally allowed to do
- all of which is unconstitutional because it’s fucking illegal to make someone work for no pay
- it’s in the thirteenth amendment
so why is my generation living at home?
because no one will fucking hire and pay them a living wage that will cover rent and food and their student loans, that they have to pay because in order to get that unpaid internship in the first place they have to attend a university that is costing them between $35,000-$60,000 a year
and the debt for those loans is the only type of debt in this country that is unforgivable
that’s right even if you declare bankruptcy and have nothing left, you will still owe your student loans
so in conclusion
fuck everything in this broken system
and also pay your employees
I sat down and cried today because I was so afraid of my government.
For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, today is the day that Iain Duncan Smith’s new welfare reforms came into force. Today is the birth of a new world, and it’s a new world in which it is increasingly being made illegal to be poor. Do you think I’m exaggerating? I am talking about a government that reacted to increased homelessness by revoking squatter’s rights, which has left hundreds if not thousands of empty commercial buildings across the United Kingdom that a homeless person can now go to prison for taking shelter in overnight. (This is like noticing a crack in the wall of your home and burning down the house as an effective countermeasure. But, hey! There’s no crack in the wall anymore!) I am talking about a government which has now made it almost impossible for the poorest people to get legal advice on all areas of civil law— including advice about what they are entitled to from their government. I am talking about a government that truly, honestly believes that being poor is a moral failing.#i hate this government #i hate that they don’t LISTEN #it is NO coincidence that both thatcher and cameron have suffered riots during their ”leaderships” #it is NO coincidence that cameron lauds thatcher as ”our greatest prime minister” #and forces his politicians to spend 7+ hours in parliament paying ”tribute” to her #this is a government that works for its own interests alone
- I don’t think that someone who “despises” feminism, as she did, can’t be an example of a powerful woman for future generations. Obama’s social media people tweeted this morning, “She stands as an example to our daughters that there is no glass ceiling that can’t be shattered.” They’re not wrong. That’s one angle to see a very complicated woman from. Thatcher was a woman in power — arguably one of the most powerful women in modern history. And she was visibly powerful. The importance of visibly powerful women at all points of the political spectrum cannot be understated, even though her policies were atrocious. Education doesn’t happen in a vacuum; men have historical examples of tyrannical dictators and great rulers all over the place.
- I despise Thatcher’s record and her self-obsession and Ayn-Randian individual narcissism, but I am disgusted by the sexist barbs continuously lodged at her since the announcement of her death this morning.
- Thatcher was a victim of sexism and misogyny just as much as Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama have been, her deplorable record notwithstanding. Failing to recognize that is just that: a failing.
- North Korea is notorious for empty threats
- The South Korean government change makes this a perfect timing for North Korea to send empty threats
- A similar threat was made 3/4 weeks ago. To be honest it’s probably a false alarm again
- North Korea declared that our truce from 1953 is officially over (from their POV) and they’ll treat & report any sort of friction that occurs between SK and NK from now on as ‘war’, and various military actions are being initiated at North Korea right now
But as I said, this does NOT count as North Korea declaring a full-on war against South Korea because things like this have happened before.
- South Koreans don’t give a fuck
- we were at war since 1953 anyway sans the bullets and the tanks
- US LOVES to show off and flaunt every single ‘wrong’ the North Korean Government does; it’s been extremely exaggerated
- so yea we’re fine don’t sorry guys and just be happy for Doctor Who